After almost 2 months of campaigning it’s time to make some final conclusions about the results sofar. I think it’s fair to do this now, and not whip up a lot of energy and stress to make it to the final goal in just two days. Let’s wrap it up! The conclusion is clear:
- There’s not enough support to make a feature film. Yet!
And here is a plan for how to move on and keep the good things we’ve achieved sofar.
- We will make a 10-15 minute high quality Pilot of the film, which gets released as stand-alone short film. Working period will be September 2014 – April/May 2015.
- We will go full steam ahead with development projects to make Blender awesome, work on Cloud (content and features), on digital asset management. This was made possible by the already granted EU Media subsidy anyway
- We put involvement by the 12 other studio partners on hold. Some might help on the Pilot though, but most of the work will be done here in Blender Institute.
Mathieu Auvray, David Revoy, Esther Wouda will continue work on this starting in June/July.
Similar to the previous plan, all work will be done and shared in open production with Cloud members, available as Creative Commons for everyone (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA).
When the Pilot is ready, we have three options for how we can continue, make the full feature film, and bring back the studio teams (and/or recruit new teams).
- Amount of sponsors and cloud subscriptions has grown substantially (10k Supporters).
- The Pilot creates substantial interest and financial support by big sponsors, distributors, or tv/web channels.
- Accept loans and investments, also for smaller amounts (crypto shares?).That could be organized as a short period of additional crowd-funding.
If the Pilot just doesn’t give market/community interest we just happily move on to a next project.
For everyone who has supported us until now:
Anyone who pledged can get a refund, get it canceled or activated. Everyone will be contacted for this within a few days. We will handle it all carefully, it might take some manual work so it can take up to a week to process everything.
But of course we prefer you to stay on board. :) Rewards for this will be:
- Film Download sponsors: your donation is worth a full discount on purchasing a Gooseberry support product later.
- Cloud subscribers: your Pilot credit will be rewarded if you stay on board for 8 months.
- Credit pledges + 18 month prepaid subscribers: you get a special bigger credit in the Pilot scroll.
- Bronze/Silver/Gold pledges: you get an even bigger credit in the Pilot scroll.
- Everyone who paid 20 euro ($25.60) or more (incl. download sponsors): your 20 euro discount will be valid for any Gooseberry support product in our e-store (shirts, dvds, blurays, usb sticks, posters, etc).
We will ONLY reward this 20 euro ($25.60) discount to people who supported us during the campaign! That’s our special thank-you for helping out.
(Subscribers or donations after thursday 17h CEST don’t get this discount.)
And most of all: if we do the feature film, your original perk will still be valid:
- Early digital download of the film
- Cloud subscribers: a credit if you were on board for 18 months minimally
- Credit sponsors: what we promised you’ll get.
All in all it has been quite a ride this campaign. We do have over 4000 people who supported us in one way or another. I really like it to reward their trust in us and do something great the coming many months. But I also hope everyone understands that doing a full feature animation film is not an option to start with right now.
Thanks on behalf of everyone,